"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

Friday, September 16, 2011

Lactation... failure? (An explanation for new readers.)

If you're reading this blog, chances are good that you've hit a few bumps in the road on your breast feeding journey. Maybe you have IGT, maybe your baby doesn't latch well, maybe you've been dealing with mastitis or thrush, maybe you were separated from your baby or had a sick or premature  baby, maybe you're re-lactating, maybe all of the above. Maybe you found this blog on your own, maybe someone referred you to it. Whatever the reason, you're here now. 


It's been brought to my attention that a hormonal, frustrated mom may be further discouraged to be referred to a blog with the words "failure" and "lactation" in the name. So, I wanted to write a post that explains exactly WHY I use the term "lactation failure."


In the 6+ years I've been searching for an answer for my chronic low milk supply, I'd heard the term more than once. During my current struggle to establish a milk supply, I heard it again here.

So, why call myself a Lactation Failure?

First, it expressed very accurately how I was feeling at the moment. The first few weeks were a rough time. I felt so much guilt and shame.

Second, "lactation failure" literally means "inability to produce adequate milk volume" which is exactly my problem.

Thirdly, it poked a little fun at an absolutely devastating medical term for a heartbreaking condition (if I couldn't laugh, I'd cry.)

Although there are times when I still get discouraged, for the most part, I am at peace.

Most moms who experience breastfeeding problems can resolve them with time and proper support. I am not one of those moms.

But that doesn't mean I'm giving up. Far from it.

(My blog was never actually intended to encourage other moms dealing with breastfeeding problems, just to document my experience and possibly help other moms with low milk supply. But if you get encouraged to continue despite whatever obstacles may be in your way, even better!)



No comments:

Post a Comment