"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

Monday, August 27, 2012

This morning, as I was sitting on the couch reading, Lola climbed into my lap, pointed to my chest and said, "Om nom nom!" and pulled down the top of my tank top, latched herself on and got comfortable.

And I realized that I'd gotten what I'd wanted all along. My goal to nurse a toddler has truly been reached.
Through all the ups and downs, ins and outs of having low milk supply, we still made it.

And I am grateful for those I've met on this journey who helped me get through the difficult times, who inspired me to keep going through their examples of nursing into toddlerhood and beyond. And I'm inspired by those who have given their all despite low milk supply, whatever that means for each mother and baby.

Every month, Lola has a nursing strike, nursing as little as twice a day, for the week leading up to my period, and it always terrifies me that she's really weaning. And so far, she hasn't. And I breathe a sigh of relief for another couple of weeks. I don't know how much longer our nursing relationship will last, so I'm going to savor every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment