"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Claire's story


After experiencing 2 miscarriages--at weeks 5 & 9, I was referred to a reproductive endocrinologist who diagnosed me with a genetic mutation called mthfr. He put me on baby aspirin & a high dose of folate, b6 & b12. 

When i got a positive test the 3rd time at 4w3d, I visited the doctor immediately. They tested my levels and tested again 2 days later, my hcg doubled & progesterone stayed at 21. Two days later my hcg doubled again but my progesterone levels dropped from 21 to 14.9. I was put on suppositories until week 10. My pregnancy was uncomplicated but I was slightly anemic the entire pregnancy despite taking extra iron. 

My daughter was born at 41w1d. We had a planned homebirth with 10 hours of labor & 20 minutes of pushing. My 3rd stage of labor turned scary when my placenta wouldn’t detach. It was manually removed at home with no pain medication. My midwives had to reach in & pull it out because after an hour it hadn’t begun to detach.

Breastfeeding was initiated immediately & my baby had a great latch and was eager to feed. Three days later my daughter went 24 hours with only 1 wet diaper we contacted an IBCLC who told me to supplement immediately. Upon a visual inspection of my breasts, they suggested that I might have IGT due to my low supply, minimal breast growth during pregnancy, no engorgement, no letdown & I never felt my milk “come in”. 

I got an SNS and I’ve been using it ever since. My daughter is now 6 months old. I tried a hospital grade pump but it didn’t seem to increase my supply. I think I make 1-2oz per DAY. I have tried Mother Milk Special Blend, More Milk Plus, fenugreek, domperidone, goat’s rue & alfalfa. I’m still taking the latter three. I hope to have more children & I will use progesterone during the entire pregnancy in the hope of increasing my supply.





If you have IGT, also known as hypoplastic breasts, and you'd like to share your story, please e-mail me at nyssaretter@gmail.com with the subject line "IGT moms."

No comments:

Post a Comment