Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (May). This carnival is dedicated to all moms, celebrating Mother's Day today. Participants will share various topics covering A Breastfeeding Mother's Top Ten List. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants."
IGT is a condition where the breasts do not have enough glandular tissue to make the amount of milk needed to nourish a child. It has nothing to do with breast size, although breast SHAPE can sometimes be indicative of the condition. For more info and a self-diagnostic checklist go to http://noteveryonecanbreastfeed.com/
10 reasons I continue to breastfeed, even though I have to supplement.
1. Because some is better than none
Every drop of breast milk is doing good!
2. Because she deserves my best
Even if my best means she needs to be topped off after nearly every feeding.
3. Because my mother breastfed me
I remember nursing my stuffed animals while my mother nursed my sister. I always knew I'd breastfeed my babies.
4. Because I want my daughters to breastfeed and I want my son to support his wife's breastfeeding
And when they ask me for advice, I can give it, because I've been there.
5. Because we both get comfort out of it
Nothing says, slow down and relax like a nursing session.
6. Because she'll have me, despite bottles being faster and easier
7. Because milky smiles are beautiful
Is there a sweeter sight than the smile of a nursling with milk dripping down her chin?
8. Because I can still pass on antibodies, which is important with a big brother in school
who brings home all kinds of icky germs.
9. Because I made it through the days of gritting-my-teeth-every-time-she-latched, bleeding nipples phase, why would I stop now that it doesn't hurt?
10. Because night feedings are as easy as pulling out a boob
And, I love my sleep.
10 Milk Supply Boosting/Breastmilk Enhancing Supplements:
1. Fenugreek -supply booster
2. Blessed Thistle- works with fenugreek to boost supply, hormone balancer
3. Marshmallow root- enriches the milk (vitamin A, calcium, zinc, iron, sodium, iodine, and b-complex vitamins), boosts the effectiveness of fenugreek
4. Alfalfa- mammary stimulator, nutritive (vitamins A, C, E, and K, calcium and iron), pituatary support
5. Oats-(I prefer Steel-cut Oats) pituatary support, nutritive (iron, magnesium)
6. Goat's Rue- boosts supply and may increase breast tissue
7. Virgin Coconut Oil- increases substantially the amount of lauric acid nearly doubles the amount of capric acid
8. Borage oil- makes the milk creamier, high gamma-linolenic acid
9. Nettle leaf- nutritive (iron, calcium, vitamin K, potassium), antidiabetic, hypotensive
10. Chasteberry- hormone balancer, mammary gland stimulation, milk ejection, pituatary regulation
Check out The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk for more suggestions and ideas if you need to increase your milk supply!
Other Milk Mama Diaries for Mother's Day:
Top Ten Breastfeeding Partners
Ten Things a Handy Mommy Can Do While Breastfeeding
Ten Life Altering Moments of a New Breastfeeding Mom
Nurturing Rafael: A Breastfeeding Mother's Top 10 List
Ten Things I Now Know About Breastfeeding Because I Breastfed
10 Ways to a Breastfeeding Wife
Aria's Habits While Breastfeeding
Top Ten Tips for Pumping and Working Moms
Our Breastfeeding Library
My Top 10 Favorite Foods for the Breastfeeding Mom
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!